Monday, October 29, 2012

Ranxerox by Tambourini and Liberatore


     Frist impression I had on the comic Ranxerox is that it's beautifully drawn. There's no doubt about the artist's drawing skills. The comic both portrays the realism of the true world while maintain the cartoony side of the imaginary world. I can see every muscle and blood vine clearly on the body. I even doubt that the comic is made with photoshop filters if it's not from the 70s. The art in a way, took away my attention from the actual content.

     The comic does the opposite of McCloud's "Understanding Comic", it looks too real. It's hard to "get involved" with the story of Ranxerox. Especially when the main character is an ugly and overly muscular manmade robot. In addition, visually appealing doesn't make the comic appealing. Due to the fact, the comic made me very uncomfortable. The realism of the drawings made me even more disgusted once I hit the violent scenes. I don't think even much of the adults can handle it. The comic overall is violent, bloody and sexual. Comparing to many of the zombie comics we have today, which also include many violent scenes, Ranxerox is even worse. That's because in my mind I consider zombies to be nonhuman, but people in Ranxerox (except Ranxerox) are real people.

     Tambourini and Liberatore depicted the worst part of human nature. It seems like the comic is not meant to be enjoyable, but rather serve as a punchbag to relief anger and desires. There's no moral in Ranxerox. While most of us were trained to hold back our angers at times when we face conflicts, Ranxerox just go ahead and solve it with his fists right away. He is free and wild because he has the power no one else can compete with. I believe that if a real human in the real world has the strength Ranxerox got, he would be more likely to use his power the same way as Ranxerox does rather than be a world saver. Overall, although the content of this comic is hard to appreciate, but it did tell us something about ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment