Sunday, December 2, 2012

web comic YUME



     We all have the experience when we fall in love with the person in our dreams. The work YUME brought this dream to life. When I first started reading YUME, it started off with the traditional black and white panels. Then after several issues, the author began putting in colors. Usually you would expect that the style kind of settles after a while. However, getting into part 2, the author totally went wild with her styles. Sometimes she deletes the line art and left with more realistic looking designs. Sometimes she combined photos into her art. Sometimes she even uses clays. You literally witness her evolvement over time. The work is not limited to one fixed form but several others. Just like how she named her work, it's a "Dream", a dream is suppose to unpredictable. That's why when I started with part 2, the first I asked myself was "Did I open this thing the right way? It seems like I was reading another comic". 

     Just from the title "Yume" a Japanese term for dream, I can already tell that the author was a fan of manga. The layout of the panels, the way the character's designed and the setup of the plot all represents the elements of manga. Not to mention that the uniform reminds me of Japan a big time  because Japanese people for some reason all have a crush on school uniforms.

     The protagonist is a lonely girl, mistreated by all of the people surrounding her. All of the sudden a hero, well a heroin in this case, usually transfered from another school stand out for her. Eventually they started a romantic relationship. This is very typical beginning of a shoujo manga except that the person our protagonist fell in love with is a lesbian. I saw them struggle and struggle and struggle for decades until they finally confess heir feeling for each other. Just when I thought that this is about to coming to an end but the author twisted everything around. Part two of the comic is what I thought to be the beginning when all the fun starts. As the comic proceed, I was actually glad that she emerge out of the box of Japanese influence later on in her work. Not to say that it's no a good thing to imitate manga but it's much more interesting to do it in her own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment